Sweetgrass and Sage

Sweetgrass and Sage

Monday 12 August 2013

(VIDEO) Rehearsing for Sept. gig!

Today I spent most of the day with my great friend Trystan. We have a gig at Hudson's on campus on the 1st of September for his and our other friend Eric's birthday. So this is just a little taste of what's to come. It's going to be a blast!

This is the first time I've sung with a mic, so it's different but I can quickly get used to it.  I also got to try out my new external pick up!


 This one is made by K&K Sound, which is what Bob at Mhyre's Music on 118 Avenue in Edmonton, recommended to me. It's a low cost alternative to getting a pickup installed on my existing Uke, and MUCH more affordable than buying a new Uke with a pre-installed pickup.


This piece is the one that will be the amplifier basically, and it's glued on the body, near the strings where I strum.  It uses double-sided tape so I can take it off and reuse it on another instrument if I choose to do so.


This piece is glued on with an adhesive that is easy to remove and will go towards the end of the body on the bottom of the body face. So close to where a guitars pickguard would be on the body.

I tried this one with the song we play in the video and then tried my custom, heart-shaped Uke.  The heart shape one actually had a softer sound which lent itself well to the song.  I need to get pegs installed as well as a strap, so I can play it more often, as it has a pre-existing pickup already installed. Either way, a blast to discover!




My heart-shaped Uke, which I call Nirvana (heart-shaped box), was a treat to play.  Once again, I MUST thank my Ukulele Ladies, Britt, Morgan, Simone, Rachel and Nancy for such a lovely instrument.  Plays like a dreams.

2 comments:

  1. Loving the video posts! So lovely to listen too. Good luck at your gig

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way... i love how happy you guys look at the end. Made me chuckle

    ReplyDelete